Pacific Foundation Services, LLC (PFS) is a professional services firm that currently partners with 40 independent private foundations. PFS provides substantial strategic expertise through a staffing model that enables foundations to each be more efficient and effective, choosing from a curated set of services including programmatic and strategic advice, grants management and compliance, financial management, board development and governance, communications, and a physical home. Our team includes 41 individuals who bring their diverse perspectives and experience from the nonprofit, philanthropic, and private sectors in service to the greater good. We value competence and camaraderie, and work together to make the most of our collective experience. We thrive on collaboration and share our talents to provide top-level service to our clients.
PFS is looking for an experienced senior accountant to serve multiple foundation clients. As an important member of the finance team, the Senior Accountant works to ensure timely and accurate financial information for each client foundation. The Senior Accountant is responsible for client accounting activities, including budgets, financial statements, accounting for investments, and assisting in audit and tax preparation. The position is full-time (37.5 hours per week), nonexempt, and reports to the Vice President of Finance.
- Conduct monthly close and prepare monthly financial statements for clients, including:
- Preparing journal entries
- Updating investment roll forward schedules
- Reconciling investment and bank statements, as needed
- Preparing monthly reports
- Develop annual budgets for foundation clients, including updates and revisions, as needed
- Manage estimated tax payment process for clients, including coordinating with outside accountants to prepare estimates
- Coordinate annual audit/review processes for clients, including:
- Preparing requested materials for auditors
- Working with auditors during on-site fieldwork to answer questions, provide additional information as needed
- Addressing subsequent post fieldwork questions
- Coordinate annual tax return processes for clients, including:
- Providing requested information to tax accountants
- Reviewing draft 990-PFs
- Ensuring submission of final returns
- Responding to client requests for information
- Special projects as assigned.
BS or BA in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration, or equivalent experience.
- At least five years general ledger accounting experience, including reconciliations. Experience with
- investment and foundation or nonprofit accounting required.
- At least three years’ experience with financial reporting and budgeting.
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Prior experience participating in audits or reviews strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience with accounting software. Intacct experience desirable.
- Proven skills with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, in a Windows environment.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented.
- Ability to juggle multiple, unrelated projects, including ability to prioritize.
- Ability to work in a small, collaborative team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and discretion about confidential matters.
- Demonstrated commitment to PFS values of generosity, respect, integrity, inclusion, commitment, and humility.
PFS has offices in San Francisco, Palo Alto, and Santa Rosa. This position will be based in the San Francisco office. PFS operates on a hybrid schedule, meaning full time staff are expected to work at least two days per week in the office and have the option to work remotely from home on other days.
Salary & Benefits
Salary: $81,850 – $91,500, DOE
PFS is committed to paying competitive wages. In an effort to increase equity, and because we know that salary negotiations tend to have an unfair bias, we do not participate in salary negotiations outside of this stated salary range.
Benefits: Includes medical, dental, vision, Section 125 plan, 401K retirement, paid volunteer time, charitable gift matching, hybrid remote work schedules (after three months), public transportation subsidies and more.
Please email a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, salary requirements, and a resume to:
Justine Duong, Human Resources Coordinator
Email: [email protected]
No phone calls, please!
Hiring Process and Timeline
- Phone interview to discuss general qualifications and give more detail about the position scheduled on a rolling basis
- Video interviews scheduled in September
Pacific Foundation Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants for employment and our company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information and characteristics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected under federal, state, or local laws.
All final candidates must provide three relevant employment references, and be able to verify the right to work in the United States.
Contact us to discover how we can tailor our services and handpick a team of professional experts to support the specific needs of your foundation.