We’re Hiring! Senior Foundation Accountant
Pacific Foundation Services, LLC (PFS) is a professional services firm that currently partners with over 40 independent private foundations. PFS provides substantial strategic expertise through a staffing model that enables foundations to each be more efficient and effective, choosing from a curated set of services including programmatic and strategic advice, grants management and compliance, financial management, board development and governance, communications, and a physical home. Our team currently includes 42 individuals who bring their diverse perspectives and experience from the nonprofit, philanthropic, and private sectors in service to the greater good. We value competence and camaraderie, and work together to make the most of our collective experience. We thrive on collaboration and share our talents to provide top‐level service to our clients.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for accounting activities related to servicing PFS’s clients, including budgets, financial statements, accounting for investments and assisting external CPAs in audit and tax preparation. The client foundations this role works with range in size and complexity, but in all cases a strong foundation in accounting and accounting for investments is required.
Reports to: Controller
Hours: Full time, Non‐exempt, M‐F 8:30 – 5:00
- Conduct monthly close and prepare monthly financial statements for clients;
- Develop annual budgets for foundation clients, including updates and revisions as needed;
- Manage estimated tax payment process for clients;
- Coordinate annual audit/review processes for clients;
- Coordinate annual tax return processes for clients;
- Attend foundation board meetings as requested;
- Attend monthly department meetings and company meetings;
- Special projects as assigned.
- BS or BA in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration, or equivalent experience.
- At least five years general ledger accounting experience, including reconciliations. Familiarity with investment and foundation or nonprofit accounting required.
- At least three years’ experience with financial reporting and budgeting.
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Prior experience participating in preparation for audits or reviews.
- Extensive experience with accounting software other than Quickbooks. Sage Intacct experience desirable but not required.
- Proven skills with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, in a Windows environment.
- Highly organized and detail‐oriented.
- Ability to juggle multiple, unrelated projects, including ability to prioritize.
- Ability to work in a small, collaborative team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and discretion about confidential matters.
- Demonstrated commitment to PFS values of generosity, respect, integrity, inclusion, commitment, and humility.
PFS has offices in San Francisco and Palo Alto. This position will be based out of the San Francisco office. Following an initial training period, a hybrid work schedule will be available, however, the role will require regular in‐person work in our San Francisco office, with occasional travel to our Palo Alto office.
Salary & Benefits
Range: $85,000 ‐ $95,000 DOE
PFS is committed to paying competitive wages. In an effort to increase equity, and because we know that salary negotiations tend to have an unfair bias, we do not participate in salary negotiations outside of this stated starting salary range.
Benefits: Include medical, dental, vision, Section 125 plan, 401K retirement, paid volunteer time, charitable gift matching, hybrid remote work schedules, public transportation subsidies and more.
Please email a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, salary requirements, and a resume to Justine Duong, HR Generalist, at jduong@pfs‐llc.net
Application deadline: May 25, 2023
No phone calls, please!
Hiring Process and Timeline
- Phone interview to discuss general qualifications and give more detail about the position scheduled on a rolling basis
- Video interviews scheduled on a rolling basis beginning in late May
- Ideal start date planned for mid to late June.
Pacific Foundation Services is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion, and our staff is the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self‐ expression, unique capabilities, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and the Firm’s achievement, as well. We consider all qualified applicants for employment and our company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), gender, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information and characteristics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected under federal, state, or local laws.
All final candidates must provide three relevant employment references, and be able to verify the right to work in the United States.
Contact us to discover how we can tailor our services and handpick a team of professional experts to support the specific needs of your foundation.